Monday, November 24, 2008

Heavy Metal

My computer got busted last week because of high winds that shut down the electricity abruptly and shorted something inside, well there goes about 100$ repair out of my wallet. I do have an old computer that serves as an replacement but it has 191 MB of RAM which is highly confusing because they don’t even make that much. So since it can barely run Firefox and I felt bad about not updating for what might be a week or more, I decide to write a post at my university. Really is awkward writing a blog post at university especially while looking up for some pictures because the subject isn’t exactly SFW. Hey, they don’t know me and I don’t know them, the feeling is mutual. So it’ll be short for today cause of limited time but don’t worry, I’ll do a sequel to the post to look into things that I don’t have time with right now.



No, I’m not talking about the music genre. Yes, I am talking about the animated film made in 1981. It supposedly obtained cult status now, but seems like I’m the only one in my area that knows about the film. Very rare to find for some legal reasons they never released it on video tape or anything, not exactly sure if that’s resolved yet. It was directed by the same director of the popular magazine of the same name of the movie: Heavy Metal. The magazine featured dark science fiction and fantasy set often with a little erotica and of course a touch of heavy metal music. The movie was probably made because of the rise and arguably the peak of popularity of Heavy Metal music and the magazine.

Imagine if you took a 14 year old heavy metal fanatic with raging hormones, you gave him an infinite supply of redbull and several animation houses at his disposal. You would get only one thing, the animated film known as Heavy Metal. Its pure adolescent fantasy filled with sex, violence and drugs. Too bad Power Metal wasn’t invented yet, because some of the fantasy albums would have fit perfectly in there.

I have a hard time grouping the film with others because it’s so unique. I would like to call it science fictions, but the movie tagline is ``A Step Beyond Science Fiction``. But surely it has science fiction attributes mixed with high fantasy and some touches of cyberpunk. Another problem with deciding the genre is that the film is split in different segments with each their different style and context.

The film starts out with the introduction, where you see an astronaut riding a futuristic silver 1960 corvette. Reality check before continuing because I’m not kidding. The guy brought to his daughter a green orb. Wasn’t really a good gift because the green orb is in-fact Loc-Nar the sum of all evil. Then the orb proceeds to melt the girls father in an instant, then forces the little girl watch events in which Loc-Nar influences trough the universes. That’s the setting the whole film is basically a series of events that Loc-Nar shows the little girl. Now that I’m thinking about it, I’m not really sure if that orb is really evil. Showing all that stuff to a little girl seems a little kinkier than evil, if you ask me.

Some would say the film is almost only popular because of the music. I don’t think it had everything to do with it but I bet it did have an huge influence at time. Because I wasn’t even born yet I can’t see the impact of it all. In fact it does have a kickass soundtrack some of the best metal of the time, I don’t especially like early 80`s heavy metal but I’m just nitpicking it right now. The soundtrack is also the main reason why it isn’t released into the home movies yet, legal reasons for releasing the tracks. Anyways the film features great artists like Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, Sammy Hagar, Journey, Black Sabbath and much more. All these songs fit perfectly the film, maybe I’m being bias I can’t really tell sometimes.

That’s all the time I have for today, pay attention for an update not only for the blog but on Heavy Metal I have a lot more to say.

No comments: